Thursday 17 April 2014

Nesting time

For some of our birds, nesting is well underway, with babies already being fed (blackbirds and robins are collecting food), but some others are still building.  The sparrows are digging up moss for their various homes in our roof (there are usually four) and possibly in the leylandii hedge, which I suspect is one big bird apartment block, as well.  The tits, who always nest a little later, are also building; some have been inspecting the nest box, but one has found a way into the front porch roof and is taking grass and moss in there.  There are usually more birds than humans in this house!

Doing some clearing up and (belated) rose-pruning in the village hall garden the other day, I looked down at a huge clump of pendulous sedge at my feet and realised that there was something in the middle of it.  The something was looking at me while trying to remain as inconspicuous as possible.  It was a hen pheasant, presumably sitting on eggs.  She was superbly camouflaged, and sat tight all the time I was working there; I hope she manages to raise her brood undisturbed.

Today my attention was caught by some vetch (the really nasty weeds are now starting to sprout strongly) moving vigorously in the border under the dining room window, as if something was pulling at it.  It wasn't a bird, as nothing flew out; I think I caught a glimpse of a furry grey-brown back that looked like a vole.  I hope it hasn't nested in the little rock bank I created there, as that border is going to be dug out later this year and I wouldn't want to disturb a nest.

I've seen two ladybirds so far this year - double what I saw in the whole of 2013 - and a cabbage white and a tortoiseshell butterfly.

The seeds are doing well so far.  In fact some of the sweet peas, still in the cold frame, are starting to flower, so I need to get them out soon (first I need to decide where to plant them ....).  The propagator is proving its worth; for the record, the following seeds have germinated in there: tomatoes, aubergines, ricinus, didiscus, cleome (well, one seed has sprouted anyway!) and mesembryanthemum.  Only the portulaca is refusing to do anything at all; I've grown it before, a long time ago, and don't recall it being difficult to germinate.

Out in the garden, the later tulips are showing buds; the erythroniums are out, the daffodils are mostly fading except for the very latest ones, and the hellebores are starting to go over.  I'm pleased with the amelanchier; it has been allowed to get very lanky, but last year I managed to cut back some of the top growth and this year it has produced a much better display of blossom.

The weather has been dry and mostly very sunny - warmish in the sunshine but cooler than you'd expect otherwise, and decidedly chilly at night and in the shade.  The forecast is for temperatures to stay slightly below normal, so I'm not hurrying to plant things out (except those sweet peas ....).

No comments:

Post a Comment