Thursday 18 March 2021

Plants in the wrong place

A weed, of course, is a plant in the wrong place.  There are quite a few plants in the wrong place in the garden, including this lovely little clump of miniature daffodils, currently brightening up the far corner of the vegetable garden.  I forget when and why I put them there – probably for lack of any other suitable spot at the time – but they’re not weeds, and I'm happy for them to stay there.

Sally Nex, writing in the RHS magazine this month, has taken a novel approach to weed removal.  She has reclassified her weeds as ‘wildflowers’, and all of a sudden – a weed-free plot.  Having a very wildflower-y lawn, I can go along with that; our lawn isn’t a model of perfection by any means, but it is never treated with chemicals, is very colourful between mowings, and boasts a fine colony of cowslips and three species of orchid, which we mow around.  Some of the lawn weeds, especially couch grass and creeping potentilla, make a nuisance of themselves by creeping into adjacent beds, where I try to deal with them as best I can; but not all of my ‘plants in the wrong place’ are actually wildflowers.

Take the alpine strawberries (variety ‘Baron Solemacher’) and the oregano.  Both are definitely ‘plants’ not ‘wildflowers’ – I introduced them into the garden – that took to growing prolifically in the veg plot (and elsewhere).  I like both plants very much; as well as being useful in the kitchen, they’re attractive to wildlife, especially the oregano, which is enjoyed by butterflies when in flower and by goldfinches when seeding.  They used to pop up uninvited in places where I never intended them to grow, and I allowed and even encouraged them since they were highly desirable plants.  Things came to a head when they colonised some of the veg plot paths, and I found myself walking on the veg beds so as not to trample them.  Something had clearly gone wrong there.  When I considered why I was taking this lopsided view, I realised that I was tolerating them because neither plant had a dedicated place where they were supposed to grow: the strawberries did have two very small beds in the veg plot (one of which had fallen out of use), but since the berries are very small, I needed more plants elsewhere to produce a decent crop, and the herb bed where the oregano was supposed to live had not really worked out and had been repurposed for other plants.  Both have been weeded out of the paths, and I’m now considering dedicated quarters for them in future.

One of my latest weeding jobs has been removing them from the raspberry patch.  Crawling around under the raspberry canes and trying to winkle out the weeds hasn’t been one of my favourite jobs, so it doesn’t get done every year, but this year it has suddenly become easier.  I’ve noticed in recent seasons that the raspberries are not doing as well as they once did, and this year about half of the canes haven’t produced any stems, leaving big bare patches in the bed.  The plants were in the garden when we came here, 30 years ago (already!), and I’ve been considering replacing them for a while, so I think the time has come.   My plan is to let the remaining canes fruit and then to dig them out, clear the whole bed, and replant, with a mixture of the traditional summer-fruiting and the newer autumn-fruiting varieties.

I’ve now cleared the part of the bed with no surviving canes, removing the weeds as I went.  Both the couch grass and the horrible potentilla had made inroads from the lawn into the patch, but not very seriously; it was mostly the oregano and alpine strawberries that needed to be dealt with.  They actually work very well as underplanting for raspberries; they don’t get in the way of the canes, they suppress weeds by covering what would otherwise be bare soil and, being edibles, they’re a sensible planting in the fruit patch.  I may well reinstate at least the strawberries when I replant the bed (the oregano can be a bit too invasive and is less easy to dig out); a few of the plants I removed have been temporarily bedded in a spare corner for that purpose.

Actually the further half of the raspberry bed has been out of commission completely for a few years, and that also needs clearing.  There’s a lot of ivy, but there’s also a large clump of Iris foetidissima.  I’m tolerant of the iris, because the un-showiness of its flowers is offset by the fine shiny leaves and the bright orange seeds in winter, both good in flower arrangements and cheering in the garden.  It is actually a real native wildflower, but it mostly appears in gardens because someone has planted it or because it has seeded in from another garden.  So is it a ‘wildflower’ or a ‘plant’?  Either way, it is going to be removed; it’s happy to grow in deep shade and in poor soil (and does so elsewhere in the garden), so having it in a sunny(ish) place and in good soil is a waste of a good garden situation.  (Thinking about it, that’s also true of the alpine strawberries.  Maybe I need to consider further.)

In the meantime, there is now some clear ground in the patch which can be put to good use for temporary planting.  As usual, I’ve been overenthusiastic about sowing lettuce seeds: six varieties, and because I can never bring myself to believe that most of the seeds will germinate, I have far too many seedlings coming through.  Some of them might find themselves in with the raspberries in due course.

Lettuce, just starting to germinate


No comments:

Post a Comment